Background


Friday, June 24, 2011

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I'll be the first to admit it: I have a LOT of pet peeves. People leaving the copy machine up. People taking my pens at work. My sister singing in the back seat of the car. The list could go on and on. Today's pet peeve comes from a blog post I read earlier written by a 23-year old woman about how she loves the 80s and it was her favorite decade and she wishes she could go back in time and be 23 in the 80s. Now, maybe I get what she means. Perhaps the 80s were awesome. Perhaps it really was a good time to live. I mean, I enjoyed it. But I was a kid. I think I would have enjoyed any decade. This girl, however, was maybe 3 at the end of the decade. THREE! I suppose I just don't understand this kind of nostalgia. I mean, when I get nostalgic for a past time in my life, it isn't nostalgia for stereotypes of that era. I'm not nostalgic for big crimpy hair, jean mini-skirts and bangles up to my elbows. I'm not nostalgic for dancing around in the mall or going to see whatever John Hughes came out with this week. I was a KID! I didn't do these things, I didn't wear these things and I don't remember these things. AND NEITHER DID YOU 23 YEAR OLD WOMAN!!!

That being said, I am getting slightly nostalgic for the 80s. Here are some things that made up my childhood that I suddenly miss:

Alvin and the Chipmunks - This was my absolute favorite! Although, for some reason, whenever the theme song came on I would apparently hide. No idea why.


Crest Sparkle Toothpast - Weird, right? But who didn't love sparkly blue toothpaste that tasted like bubblegum? And it was star-shaped at one point!



My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Pound Puppies/Pound Kitties... these were my toys in the 80s! We really did have cool toys back then. I'm pretty sure I had most of the toys on this site: http://www.liketotally80s.com/80s-toys.html

One of my favorite toys on this list was the My Child Doll. I had one... I named her Maria and she wore a lot of my old baby clothes. She now lives in the attic. Naked. Ah, Maria!

Dirty Dancing - Yes, I know this is NOT an appropriate movie for children, even now. And no, I don't really remember actually seeing the entire thing. Just the ending. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Then the awesome dance. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey singing "I've had the Time of My Life." Baby's really awesome dress from the 80s. My mom telling my dad that was the kind of moment all women want. Ahh...


Sunday Braids and Ponytails - I'm pretty certain we were the only family that called this hairstyle "Sunday Braids" and "Sunday Ponytails" but that's what they were. (PS after googling Sunday Braid, I found out that it's a type of boot)


Jellies!!! - I LOVE LOVE LOVE these shoes! They were oh so cute. Only downside... little rocks would get stuck in the bottom of them. But who didn't love pulling them out?!










So that does it for my little trip down memory lane. I'm sure I can think of a million more things, but those are just the ones that popped into my head while I was bored at work and writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment