Background


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Και εσείς θα πάτε στη Μύκονο

It's been my dream for a very, very, very long time to go to Greece. I'm not sure when it started. Maybe after watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Maybe after my first time eating at Zoe's. Or maybe in third grade when we read about Athena and Arachne. Whenever it was, I definitely feel the pull to go to Greece.


Since one of my things to do before I turn 30 is to travel to Greece I started with the first logical step in achieving this goal. I looked up a trip. Of course, now I only have to decide which one I'd like to go on. Do I want to go on the shorter (and cheaper) one that would take me on a tour of Ancient Greece, to Athens and Delphi and Olympia, to see temples and ancient landmarks?


Or do I want to go island hopping to places like Mykonos and Crete, laying out in the sun, soaking up Greek culture, sailing through the Mediterranean on a cruise ship?

Why not both?!

They both sound amazing to me and, even though I know it'll come down to whichever one I can afford, I'd love to do them both. I'm a huge fan of Greek Mythology and such, so seeing all of the stuff that's related to them would be awesome. Of course, so would island hopping. Oh, decisions, decisions!

To prepare for my trip - which I'm GOING to take - I want to be able to read and speak a little Greek so I'm not completely helpless. I also think it would be kinda cool to know a little bit of it (don't ask me why). So far I've signed up for a free teach-yourself-Greek class online... That's a start, right? I did listen to a little of the audio lesson earlier. The speaker on it sounds a bit like a Sigmund Freud impersonator. Super... At least there's some catchy Greek music on there!

Maybe I should instead focus on planning my trip to NYC since that's a more reasonable and realistical trip that could happen in the near future. And I'm pretty sure that I could knock off a chunk of things on my list...

No comments:

Post a Comment