Background


Thursday, December 2, 2010

#6 - Such a novel idea

After reviewing my list of things to do I realized that none of them could really be done right away. They'd all take a little bit of planning and saving and whatnot. Which was a little disappointing because after making my list I wanted to get started right away. So I decided to start with #6 - Write a book.

I've always enjoyed writing - kind of my dorky little secret. I love editing writing even more. Call me crazy but I get this funny kind of high from correcting mistakes, especially if I get to use a red pen. When I was in high school whenever we would have papers all my friends used to get me to proofread theirs. I guess that's when the real dorkiness started. I digress.

Ever since I was little it was a dream of mine to write a book. Maybe not so much to get it published and become a world famous writer, but just to say that I wrote something and others enjoyed it. Even if it's just my friends. Which I hope they'll want to read if I ever finish.

So, going back to my original point, I began writing the other day and, as always, I think it's total crap. I think my main problem when I write is that I compare myself too much to others. I'll read some of my favorite books to see how that author started a chapter or how they described certain scenes and then reread mine and think that it's nowhere near that good.

I guess that's where the editing problem comes in. I'm so concerned about it being good and perfect that I miss out on the adventure of letting things come to life on the page. I've written things before and have gotten lost in the story. For some reason I haven't been able to do that so far.

All in all, I'm kind of excited about this particular item on my list. Probably more than most of them. I think this is my own way of doing a job I love and am really wanting to push myself to actually complete it. Last word count was just over 1,700. Hopefully more will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment