Background


Friday, December 3, 2010

#16 - Do cookies count?

Despite my lack of cooking know-how, I somehow always seem to get roped into making cookies for something. This time it's a church bake sale my mom is helping with. She signed up for a pecan pie, which she makes (I have no clue about it... one day I'll learn though), and molasses cookies. My molasses cookies that I've been making the past few years. In other words, she signed me up to bring molasses cookies. Oh, mom...

So that got me thinking: could you just be the person who brings desserts to parties and get-togethers? My Aunt Lena always made tea cakes and my dad would always talk about them. "Did Aunt Lena make any tea cakes? Don't eat Aunt Lena's tea cakes. They're no good." You know, as he's eating five of them at a time. Maybe that's what I could be known for. Cookies.

I think in the long run it would save me and my potential family from hating my "signature" dish. My mom's is pineapple casserole. She's been making it since... well, I have no idea since when. It's been that long. Whenever we go to a family get-together everyone always gets excited over it. We, my immediate family, however, HATE it. We're all sick of it, but eat it anyway because a holiday or special meal just wouldn't be the same without it. But everyone likes cookies!

These cookies, when made right, are really awesome. And the recipe makes a ton so there's always extras to snack on for days. They're kind of a pain the butt to make though. Time consuming and kind of labor intensive. Here's the recipe:

3/4 Cup butter or margarine
1 Cup white sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup molasses
2 Cups All Purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup white sugar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted margarine, 1 cup sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger; blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until tops are cracked. Cool on wire racks.

I usually increase the cloves because we never have ginger in the house. Or I'll use a little of that 10 year old box of pumpkin pie spice. Whatever you want to do.

Maybe this is a cop-out. Maybe thinking that cookies will satisfy this item on my list is just laziness. I'm not going to give into temptation, but it sure would be nice if all I had to do was make cookies whenever I went somewhere, but these probably wouldn't be the best ones (even though they're yummy!). They're definitely more of a winter cookie. I couldn't imagine enjoying them quite as much when it's 90 degrees outside!

So I guess it's back to the drawing board finding a recipe... Hopefully I'll find one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment