Background


Monday, May 23, 2011

After the "Rapture"

Rapture (n):
1. The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
2. An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
3. The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven

Apparently, May 21, 2011 was supposed to be the rapture... the day the rapture came... when the rapture happened? I'm not really sure how you would phrase that. Regardless, I, like so many other people I know, found the idea of the end of the world being this past Saturday kind of... well... hilarious. It's been the butt of several jokes last week followed by several post-rapture jokes so far week.
Even though I'm not still quite sure I understand exactly WHAT the rapture is (please feel free to explain if you're so inclined) I definitely feel that no man is going to be able to "predict" when it's coming. Despite the world-wide popularity of books such as The DaVinci Code or movies like National Treasure (although I'm not sure how popular that one was...) I have a hard time believing that these historical documents or biblical documents have hidden "codes" that we can use to predict things. Especially the second coming of Christ. If he's coming back, he'll come back when he's ready, not when man dictates he's coming. Although he might have been trying to make a surprise visit on Saturday and decided not to since we were all expecting him. Thanks, Mr. Camping.

Things I had Hoped to Get Out of Due to Rapture
That late fee at the library due to not turning a DVD in on time
Work
Cleaning my apartment
Paying doctor's bills that my cheap-o insurance wouldn't cover
Going to the dentist

Things that I would have Missed Due to Rapture
Final Harry Potter
Seeing Wicked next year
Glee Season Finale
Finally getting to go to the pool at my apartment complex that only JUST opened

Perhaps if I had been raptured, those things would be in Heaven... so I'm cool with it. I can't see Harry Potter NOT going to heaven with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment